EPFO (Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation, India) and UAN (Universal Account Number)-related login, registration, activation, EPF Passbook, and other important information for employees and employers are available in this article.
You can find the most updated information that will be useful for all employees working in the organized sector in India.
What is EPFO?
EPFO stands for “Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation”. As per the Employees’ Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952 all employers who have 20 or more employees will provide provident fund (pension fund) to all employees.
Central Board of Trustees, Employees’ Provident Fund is responsible for administering and managing all the contributory provident funds, pension schemes, and insurance schemes for the workforce engaged in the organized sector in India. Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India administers and controls the EPFO and its functioning.
As per the EPFO scheme, employers and employees both contribute some amount to the provident fund every month. This amount will get a higher interest rate and will be given to employees after retirement. It works like a retirement scheme where an employee manages to save a decent amount of income by just investing a little bit of money from his monthly salary.
What is UAN?
UAN stands for “Universal Account Number“. It’s a 12-digit unique identification number given to all employees by their employers when they start their career journey. Whether an employee joins multiple companies throughout his career, the UAN number remains the same.
The employee is allotted a new Member Identification Number (Member ID) when he joins a new company. This ID is linked to his UAN number to keep track of employer-related information. Member Identification Number (Member ID) is also known as The PF number which is a 22-digit alphanumeric number.
Each time an employee joins a new company, a new Member ID is issued and linked to UAN. This way an employee will have multiple Member IDs and a single Universal Account Number.
Since an employee works in different establishments during his entire life and gets different Member IDs from each employee, the idea was to link all the member IDs to a single Unified identification number which will be unique for all employees. That’s why the employee shares his UAN number with the new employer and the employer links a new member ID to the employee’s UAN number already allotted to him.
- How to Withdraw PF Online 2023
- How to check PF Grievance Status epfigms.gov.in
- EPFO KYC Update, check status online 2023
UAN EPFO Login – Member Portal, Employee, Employer
Let’s check out how to easily access the EPFO UAN account. Please note that the login process for employees and employers is different.
Please have a look at the login prerequisites below.
- Employees must have a unique UAN number allotted to them.
- Employees must be registered on the Unified Member Portal.
- Employees must remember their account password.
- Employees must have a secure and trusted device.
- A secure and modern web browser will be required to open the UAN website.
- A good quality internet connection that provides uninterrupted internet supply must be available.
EPFO UAN Employee Member Portal Login:
To log in, visit the UAN MEMBER e-SEWA portal at https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/ and click the Sign In button after entering your UAN number, Password, and given captcha code. Complete the 2-step verification to log in. You will be redirected to your account dashboard page.
The below steps will be required.
- Visit the Official EPFO Website.
- Look for the Employee Option.
- Open the Employee Login Page.
- Enter Your Login Credentials.
- Access Your Account Dashboard Page.
Please follow the detailed explanation of each step below to access your employee member E Sewa account.
Step 1: Visit the Official EPFO Website.
- Visit the Employee’s Provident Fund Organization website https://www.epfindia.gov.in/.
Step 2: Look for the Employee Option.
- Click the “For Employee” link under the Services Menu item.
Step 3: Open the Employee Login Page.
- You will be redirected to the employee page on the EPFO portal.
- Now click the “Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP)” link under the Services section.
Step 4: Enter Your Login Credentials.
- You will be redirected to the employee Universal Account Number (UAN) – MEMBER e-SEWA portal.
- You will find a login form on the right side of this portal.
Step 5: Access Your Account Dashboard Page.
- Enter your UAN number, Password, and given captcha code.
- Click the Sign In button.
- On the next page, you will have to complete the second-factor authentication to access your account.
- You will receive a text SMS including an OTP on the mobile number registered with your account.
- Enter this OTP and captcha code in the given space.
- Press the Submit button to access the employee UAN member account.
Note: EPFO recently introduced the second-factor authentication service to provide an extra layer of security on your UAN account login. Now every time you log in to your account, first you have to enter your login credentials and after that, you will have to complete an extra authentication by entering the OTP received on your registered mobile number. This second-factor authentication login will help all members in preventing unauthorized access to your account.
EPFO UAN Employer Login:
To log in, visit the EPFO Establishment Sign-In page at https://unifiedportal-emp.epfindia.gov.in/, click the Employer Sign In link on the Login form, enter your username, password, and click the Sign In button. You will be redirected to the employer account dashboard page.
The below steps will be required.
- Visit the Official EPFO Website.
- Look for the Employer Option.
- Open the Employer Login Page.
- Enter the Employer Account Login Credentials.
- Access Your Employer Account Dashboard Page.
Please check the employer login process given below with a detailed explanation.
Step 1: Visit the Official EPFO Website.
- Visit the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation’s official website https://www.epfindia.gov.in/.
Step 2: Look for the Employer Option.
- On the EPFO website homepage, click the “For Employers” link under the Services menu item.
Step 3: Open the Employer Login Page.
- On the employer’s page, you will see a services section.
- Click the “Online ECR / Challan Submission / OTCP” link.
- It will open the Employer’s Unified portal of the EPFO.
Step 4: Enter the Employer Account Login Credentials.
- You will find a login page on the right side of the homepage.
- Click the “Employer Sign In” link to open the Employer login page.
Step 5: Access Your Employer Account Dashboard Page.
- Enter your Username and Password and press the Sign In button.
EPFO UAN Direct Login links
To avoid the lengthy log in process, we are sharing the direct login links for both employee and employer member portal accounts.
UAN EPFO Direct Login Link for Employees:
UAN EPFO Direct Login Link for Employers:
Click the above links to open the login page and use your login credentials to access your account.
EPFO UAN Employee Login through the Umang App
EPFO has officially announced that employees can access many important EPFO AND UAN-related services through the Umang mobile app. Employees can download the app and log in to their accounts. Please follow the below steps.
- Open the Google Play or App Store and search for the Umang app.
- Download the Umang app on your smartphone.
- Open the app, register a new account, set the MPIN, and log in to the Umang app.
- After login to the Umang app, open the Umang app and search for the EPFO in the top search bar.
- Click the EPFO link in the Umang app to launch the EPFO services.
- On the EPFO page in the Umang app, you will see a Login link after the Employee Centric Services.
- Click the Login link to open the login page.
- Enter your UAN number and the OTP received on your registered mobile number.
- Click the Submit button.
- You have successfully logged in to your UAN account on the Umang app.
Now you can access different EPFO services through the Umang app without logging in again and again.
UAN Activation – How to Register an EPFO UAN Account?
There are a lot of benefits to the employee member portal such as downloading and taking a print of your Passbook through your account, Downloading and taking a Print of your UAN Card, getting your KYC done, and updating your KYC information, and a lot of other benefits.
Employees will get these benefits only after registering and activating an account on the UAN portal. If you also want to take the benefits of the UAN Unified member portal services then please follow the below steps.
To activate your UAN account, visit the UAN portal at unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in and click the Activate UAN link. After that enter your UAN number, Aadhaar number, Name, Date of birth, and mobile number, verify through PIN, and click the Validate OTP and Activate UAN” button.
You will have to follow the below steps.
- Open the UAN Portal.
- Open the Activation Page.
- Fill Out the UAN Activation Form.
- Verify Authorization PIN.
- Log In to Your UAN Account.
Let’s check out the detailed explanation of each activation step below.
Step 1: Open the UAN Portal.
- Visit the official UAN portal by visiting https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/.
Step 2: Open the Activation Page.
- There is an Important Links section just below the Login form.
- Click the Activate UAN link in the Important Links section.
Step 3: Fill Out the UAN Activation Form.
- Enter all the required information in the activation form such as UAN number, Member ID, Aadhaar Number, Mobile Number, Name, and Date of Birth.
- Enter the Captcha code.
- Select the check box to share your Authentication to provide your Aadhaar Number.
Step 4: Verify Authorization PIN.
- Click the Get Authorization PIN.
- Employees will receive an authorization PIN on their mobile number registered with EPFO.
- You will have to enter this PIN and click the “Validate OTP and Activate UAN”.
Step 5: Log In to Your UAN Account.
- Your account will be activated after the PIN authentication process.
- Employees will receive a default password on their registered mobile number.
- Employees can open the login page and use their UAN number and Password to access their account.
- After login, please change the default password and create a new password.
How to Change the Default Password?
Since you have a default computer-generated password that you can not remember easily. Employees must change their password and create a new password that is strong and can be remembered easily.
Please ensure that you are creating a password that is 8-25 characters long and must have at least one number, one letter, and one special character.
Please follow the below steps to create a new password.
- Visit the UAN Member Portal Login page.
- Click the Forgot Password link on the login form.
- On the next page, enter your name (as written on your Aadhaar Card), and date of birth, and select your Gender.
- After that, enter the given captcha code and your Aadhaar number.
- Select the check box to share your consent.
- Click the Verify button.
- After that, enter your Aadhaar registered mobile number and click the Get OTP button.
- Enter the captcha code and OTP and click the Verify button.
- After the verification, create a new password as per the password policy.
You can now log in by entering your UAN number and Password.
Know Your UAN – How to Find UAN Number?
If you forgot your UAN number then please follow the below steps to find it on the UAN employee portal. UAN number is used in the login, activation, and other processes. Employees can easily find it through the member portal. Please note that your mobile number must be registered with your account.
- Visit the UAN Member portal.
- Click the Know your UAN link in the Important Links section.
- Enter your Mobile Number and Captcha Code and Press the “Request OTP” button.
- You will receive an OTP on your EPFO-registered mobile number.
- Enter this OTP to proceed to the next step.
- Enter your Name that is written on your ID, Proof, Aadhaar Card, PAN card, etc.
- Select your date of birth.
- Enter your Aadhaar number, PAN card, or member ID.
- Click the Show My UAN button.
- Your UAN number will be shown on the screen.
Please note down your UAN number somewhere.
What is the EPF Member Passbook?
An Employee Provident Fund (EPF) passbook also known as EPFO UAN Passbook is a record book of all the transactions made on the employee’s PF account. Employees’ Provident Fund Organization provides EPF Passbook to all employees that they can check through the official website.
Employees can check their transactions, withdrawals, contributions made by them and their employers, etc details through their Passbook. It serves as a record of an employee’s contributions, PF withdrawals, and other transactions related to their provident fund account. It helps employees easily monitor all transaction-related activities and check the progress of their retirement savings benefits.
Some of the key benefits of the EPFO UAN Passbook are mentioned below.
- Employees can log in to their accounts and check their personal information such as their PF number, monthly transactions, total savings, employer name, and other information.
- Employees can access how much contribution is made by them and the employer in their passbook. It will show you monthly contributions.
- Employees’ PF Balance also gets interest as per the interest rate set by EPFO.
- Employees can also withdraw money from their PF account. Their passbook also shows all the withdrawals made by the employees.
- The passbook is very useful in case employees want to check if their PF Balance transfers while switching jobs with a new employer.
- Employees can also check the nominee details.
Overall EPF Passbook is a financial record of the employee’s PF contribution and works similarly to a bank passbook but in a digitized form. The passbook is easily available online without any need to visit any physical location.
How to View/Download the EPF Passbook?
Please follow the below steps to view your passbook online.
- Open the EPFO website in your browser.
- Navigate to Services -> For Employees from the top menu and click the Member Passbook link.
- On the next page, you will find the EPF Passbook & Claim Status login page.
- Enter your UAN, Password, and security code.
- Press the Sign In button to access your Passbook.
- Select your Member ID and view the New Yearly or OLD Full Passbook.
- You can also select the Financial Year to view previous years’ passbooks.
- Click the Download Passbook button to download a PDF file.
Download the EPF Passbook from the UAN Member Portal
- Visit the official UAN Member portal.
- Log in to your account by entering your login credentials.
- After login, click the ‘Passbook’ link under the “View” menu item.
- After that view your passbook and click the Download Passbook button.
- A PDF file of your passbook will be downloaded on your device.
The information available on the EPFO UAN Passbook:
The below information will be available in the passbook.
- Date of credit
- EFP Wages, EPS Wages
- Deposite by employee and employer.
- Withdrawals by employee and employer.
- Pension contributions.
- Overall closing balance and pension contribution.
Functions of EPFO
EPFO performs the following functions-
The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) performs different types of functions that ensure the financial security of the employees in India.
- Maintenance of EPF Accounts: The most important function is to manage and maintain all EPF accounts through digital mode so that all the employees in India get the accumulated provident fund in their accounts throughout their careers.
- Enforcement of the EPF Act: It is EPFO’s responsibility to enforce the Employees’ Provident Funds & Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952, in all organizations across India (excluding Jammu and Kashmir). This way EPFO ensures that employees’ rights to social security are safeguarded.
- Investment of Funds: EPFO manages the investment of funds accumulated in provident fund accounts, aiming to maximize returns while maintaining the security of these funds. This prudent financial management contributes to the long-term financial stability of employees.
- Settlement of Claims: Now all the settlements of various claims can be done online through a very easy and seamless process. This way EPFO helps employees with withdrawal, transfer, and other claims related to the provident fund and also provides finance shell support to employees if required.
- Timely Updation of Records: EPFO managers a lot of employees and employees data and it is its responsibility to manage and update the data with the accurate and latest records whenever the data is available. Data accuracy is the most important part which ensures more efficient functioning of the provident fund system across India.
- Prompt Payment of Pensions: retired employees also get timely disbursement of their pensions in their accounts. This way EPFO helps all retired employees and provides financial support by providing their provident fund at the right time.
Additionally, EPFO goes beyond its administrative role by embracing IT-enabled tools and digital initiatives to streamline overall operations, provide all employees with a digital platform, and improve employee experience. EPFO is fully committed to helping all employees through its digital and modern platform and ensuring all employees get financial security for their lifetime.
There are 3 different schemes under the EPFO-
- EPF – Employees Provident Fund Scheme, 1952
- EPS – Employees Pension Scheme, 1995
- EDLI – Employees Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme, 1976
EPFO Social Security Schemes:
- Employees’ Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme (EDLI)
- Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS)
- Atal Pension Yojana (APY)
- Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan (PMSYM)
For queries related to the Member Portal, you may contact the Helpdesk Number: 1800 118 005 Helpdesk Email Id: [email protected].
Frequently asked questions
Can I have multiple UAN numbers?
A unique UAN number is allotted to each employee by EPFO and remains the same for the entire life. Employees can have multiple Member IDs but can not have multiple UANs.
How much do employees and employers save every month?
12% of the employee’s basic salary and dearness allowance is contributed by the employees and employers every month in the PF account. It helps to build a sufficient fund for the retirement benefits of the employee.
How does an employee get UAN for the first time?
When an employee joins an employer for the first time, the employer provides a UAN number to the employee. The employer gets this number through the EPFO portal by sharing the employee’s KYC information. After that employer can file the ECR on the EPFO portal.
I am an employee, can I create my UAN by myself?
Yes, Although your employer will generate your UAN for you If you want to generate your UAN number then this facility is also available on the member eSewa portal.
Visit the unified member portal ‘https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface’ and click on Direct UAN Allotment by Employees. Enter your Aadhaar Linked Mobile number and verify through an OTP.
Can I activate UAN through the mobile app?
Yes, the UAN activation facility is available through the official Umang mobile app. Download the Umang mobile app and activate your UAN account. It works similarly to the activation process through the online member portal.
In conclusion, the EPFO is the most important organization in India which is directly responsible for the financial security and social security system of all employees in India. EPFO has taken several measures that are helping all employees to get their financial security (provident fund) at the time whenever they need it.
EPFO also manages important services such as managing all the employee’s accounts, updating records and data, implementing legal requirements, helping retired employees in the disbursement of their pension in a timely manner, developing an efficient and transparent system that helps efficient claims resolution, etc.
Overall all the social security benefits of all employees in India are directly dependent on EPFO.